Monday, 3 August 2009

Welcome to Devon

Finally arrived in Devon on Sunday afternoon. Had to get up at 4.30am to start the driving. No point trying to go back to sleep in the car, or at least that was Rhiannon's idea.  She was so excited I think she gave us Radio Rhiannon almost the whole way here.  Anyway I managed to cast on for her cabled school cardi before we got in the car. Then I pretty much had 12 hours of solid knitting all the way down.  My first go at cabling by myself, and no internet to help whilst driving. Anyway managed to get nearly the whole back section done in the car and really really enjoyed it.  I love the look of the cables and they are so practical for Inverness, giving that extra layer of warmth.  I see many cable in my future! Am knitting with bargain Acrylic, which may not be very sexy but this is a school cardi that will be washed MANY times.  I will try to get a photo on soon.
No sooner had we washed and changed then I persuaded Toby to drive me through to Bovey Tracey to Spin a Yarn.  I had been researching shops to visit on holiday and found them recommended via Ravelry.  I found the website and saw that they were moving to new premises on Monday and looking for volunteers to help.  So we drove through. Spent over an hour stuck in traffic through Newton Abbot, thanks to the races. Really annoyed as I'd left the cardi at mums (Note to self Must get a sock project going exclusively for the car!!)
Eventually managed to get to BT, had lovely lunch in the Country Cafe on Fore Street, excellent food! Then wandered down to Spin a Yarn to find Joyce and the crew.  Luckily they had managed to move the yarn before the rain came on, so it was mainly sorting and organising.  I pitched in with buttons and ribbons.  Being one of natures organisers I was in my element, possibly I will be reincarnated as a bee.   There was a super atmosphere and lots of friendly helpers from the Tea Shop Knitting Group that meets at the shop.    It was like being back stage at the opera, for some people it spoils the magic but for others it is even more enchanting. I can't wait to go back later in the week and adopt some of the gorgeous yarn that was being unpacked around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment